,

Monday, December 22, 2008

12/20 and 12/22

Sat.12/20

Beautiful weather on Saturday but not much of a bite. I had a few clients onboard Saturday and we opted to search for a gator trout instead of working the mixed bag catch we've been working lately. Well, the past few days have been abnormally warm and today was no different. Probably reached 65 degrees by 10am. The water temps in the river were back up to 60 degrees and I think it's got the trout a little confused. They weren't holding in their normal Winter haunts. We put about 4 hrs in for a 13lb Gar and several flounder then decided to call it quits and head back to Swansboro. Sorry about the lack of bite guys... doesn't happen very often. I dropped the boat back in the water in Swansboro late in the afternoon as it was too pretty to head to the house. I searched for a while and finally found a good school of redfish in the backwaters... the warm temps over the week have brought many of the redfish that normally roam the surfzone back into the internal waters. The ICW and feeder creeks were 64degrees this afternoon. If it stays warm, finding reds inside shouldn't be a problem. Once it get cold again it'll be onfire along the surf!



Mon 12/22

Well, I had a client booked for this morning hoping to get into the surf with the 25mph WNW winds but just after daybreak I checked out the surf and it was a "No Go" situation. There was still plenty of whitewater hitting the beach. I called my client and with temps/ windchills below freezing and winds that would make it difficult to fish inside we decided to postpone the trip.... WELL, WOULDN'T YOU KNOW..... since i was on the water already.... I eased around and tryed a couple places I saw reds on Sat. and one of them was stacked with 22 to 26in reds.... I released 11 reds from 7:30am till 8:15am... and then got tired of the wind and the bone chilling cold.... I'll get you on those fish soon enough Ricky. They're there, but you wouldn't have enjoyed it due to the extreme wind/cold.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?