,

Friday, June 27, 2008

Good Inshore Bite! Beautiful Weather! 6/27

Well, I know some of you would rather not have to listen to this but sometimes you've just got to let it out. It doesn't happen too often but I had a client call and cancelled out on a trip last minute for today, june 27th with no good reason. When the trip was scheduled he said he preferred to fish the ocean but as usual we agreed that if the ocean wasn't "doable" due to winds and seas that we would fish the backwaters. That's how I have to book all of my trips. I can't afford to turn down clients wanting to fish and then have an individual cancel with no emergency. I've turned down over 20 potential clients for today's date in the two weeks John Wossord has been scheduled. Unfortunately, because of contacts and time constraints, I did not take a deposit. I currently do this fulltime, for a living. I know the weather in my area better than the weatherman. I don't take clients fishing if the weather is too bad to fish. I always put 110% in my fishing trips and very rarely do we ever go without catching our target species! If someone is not willing to work with me regarding the weather and alternate species to target due to inability to fish the ocean... then don't call me for a charter... go charter a 50fter at 2000 bucks and you can go fish the ocean regardless of the wind. To other captains taking bookings, make sure you request a deposit from John Wossord if you choose to have this person onboard your vessel. I guess I still live in the days of honoring verbal contracts. Funny thing is this afternoon, while getting my haircut in a local salon, an older women (probably 80+) started a conversation with me about how society has changed so much from her childhood to now... the very next thing she said to me is she has learned the hard way that you just can't trust many people now a days. She said that back in the day, a man's word was his word, and he always honored his agreements. She had apparently also had someone recently not honor their aggreement.

On a better note. I called up some friends that I haven't had a chance to fish with in a while and we spent the better part of the morning fishing the backwaters of Swansboro. We found some sheepshead that were hungry and also worked over a school of redfish releasing 17 from 24 to 35in. and keeping our limit to blacken on the grill tonight. Back to the dock around noon and spending time with my wife and baby girl Alyssa! ;)

Capt. Jeff Cronk
Fully Vented!



Comments:
I hear you man, glad you had a chance to get that off your chest. I tend to think that society has not gone to pot - that there have always been folks around that would take advantage of a situation. Trouble is that you have to do the deposit thing cause you don't know when you're going to run into another John. The thing that's hard for me to understand after fishing with you and knowing how much you put into it - how someone that's seen that would rob you of a day's profit. John must be a rare breed. At least you were able to get in some quality time with folks that mean a lot more to you!!
 
Jeff I have a lot of respect for you, however, why don't you tell the how story. Jonathan told you that he didn't want to fish inshore if the weather was bad. He said that if yall were in the ocean and had to come in due to rough water that was fine. He wanted to learn from you about wreck fishing and how you did it. After reading your website and fishing post he was really excited about going. He did not want to fish under the bridge for sheepshead. When you copped and attitude he explained he was sorry and that he would love to be able to reschedule. The funny thing is that he called you and left a message on Wednesday afternoon after he read NOAA 0-20 miles nautical report. YOu called him back at 7:00pm on Friday night expecting him to drive 3.5 hours to catch a sheepshead. I think it was low class for you to list his name, and you bashing a potential client makes you and your business look bad.
 
Actually, I did tell the story how it happened. First off, we agreed when the trip was set up that if the weather was not conducive to fishing in the ocean that we would fish the internal waters... and it didn't have to be for sheepshead... second, I told you that I would contact you the day before the trip... weather, unless it is a hurricane, cannot always be determined several days out... and, weather is the captain's call... I have never, and would never put a client onboard my boat if I thought the weather was too bad to catch fish... now some days may not be as good as others. That's fishing. but, a forecast of up to 20mph winds is just about normal for any given day along the coast... and as it turns out it was full sun with a 10 to 15 mph wind at the worst point of the day. I do apologize for not getting your message a day and a half before a scheduled trip in which I require a weeks notice for cancellation. I did however call you as I said I would the day prior to the scheduled trip to discuss the weather and such. I called in the early afternoon and got a call back just before I went to bed for our trip. I don't bash my clients... my clients don't try to do my job. my clients don't cancel out trips I've kindly scheduled (without deposits) when I could have made my days pay with any of dozens of other folks requesting the same day! Also, I didn't cop an attitude with your or your Jonathan. I simply told him that the weather would be fine for fishing inside. He said he wanted to cancel and I told him that if he had paid a deposit he would not have gotten it back. I told him I didn't appreciate his decision and that he wouldn't have to worry about ever getting onboard with me in the future. In such a case their is no option for rescheduling! you canceled out on a perfectly beautiful day with absolutely no acceptable reason! Here's the funny thing about business, you learn to do business with individuals who are worthy of doing business with. This situation has occurred to me two times in ten years... I'll go out of my way to accomodate folks and just don't appreciate when the exact opposite is done to me! Also, when has it ever been low class for an individual to speak of what he beleives to be true and just. I kept up my end of a verbal aggreement... the bashing is being done by you against me right now! good bye!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?